Friday, May 07, 2010

Graduating with Honors!

Step into the first century with me for a moment. Let me take you back to a time that had more in common with today's age than many people want to realize. Men and women were being married and being given to marriage. Children were being born and being raised by both Jewish and Pagan families; and both families were doing their best (if they could afford it) to give their children some sort of education.

Paul (then called Saul) was a product of this culture that valued position, reputation, and education. Philippians 3 really excites me as I read how Paul simply disregarded everything that he once valued (including his great education under the tutelage of his teachers). Another favorite of mine is in Acts 4 where the Jews (who valued their great circle of education and scholars) were astonished at how well Peter and John were able to instruct them. They took note that they were unschooled, ordinary men, and that these men had been with Jesus.


This doesn't mean that I'm against education, or being good at what you do. It does mean that I look at the heart of the matter that would have at it's core, 'any' reason other a submission to God's plans regarding this or any matter. Remember "God does not look at the things that man looks at. Men look at outward appearances, but God looks at the heart.

I'll use Christians teachers and professors for my example. There are many of them in the school systems that have written papers or spoken at length regarding the value of education. And if you approach them to ask them about the specific question of doing well in school because they are a Christian they will avidly agree.

The scriptures however say that out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. How could a teacher or professor fully realize the great sacrifice that Jesus gave for them and deliver an entire speech or paper without any mention of it (for fear that it will be deemed inappropriate?) ... Here is where I'll bring up the "heart of the matter" again. I have not mastered this notion of having a pure heart so I don't write this with an arrogance that points the finger. I write this saying that I've erred in this also, maybe more than you, maybe less than you; but the amount of the err is not the point. Jesus died for the sins of all, so if you will accept it the grace of Christ is there to cover up your errs just as well as it is there to cover up mine.

I write this to say to anyone who might read this; what is the effect that this Grace has in you (not on you). I don't aspire to give you courage on what you do, but rather 'why' you do it. It is not the task of every follower of Christ to be a scholar, or even to graduate. Instead it is the task of every follower of Christ to submit to God's plans, God's hopes, God's dreams ... and to disregard our hopes and dreams. For the sake of Christ and the life example to those that are around that person at a specific time, it is God's plan for one man to quit high school to provide for his family. But then it is God's plan for another man to go without sleep so he can finish college and provide for the needs of those that have no food or clothing.

I continue to go back to the 'heart' of the matter which should be every moment in recognition of ransom of His life that Christ gave for us. "To live is to Christ, to die is gain.".

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home