Wow; what a hot topic this is for so many. And I usually don't like to write about "hot" topics, things that seem to too often divide people unnecessarily I believe. But it keeps on coming up lately in various conversations that I am having or posts that friends are putting on Facebook so I figured I'd write my thoughts on it.
I'm not someone that would stand firmly on either side. I used to accept "the trinity" just because I was surrounded by believers that accepted it so "matter of fact", and they would show me a few scriptures that made sense. But then I would come across scriptures on my own like Col 1:15 which I would look at in several versions of scriptures just to be sure it was saying what I think it said. That caused me to reevaluate what I had previously accepted as a certainty.
So, if there are scriptures that say that "Jesus is God" and there are scriptures that say

"Jesus was the first born over all creation" and there are other scriptures that say "He is God's only Son", then how can I consolidate all of these into something that makes sense without stretching it out so far that I would have to "grasp at straws". And 'so' this is a subject that I've prayed about and searched the scriptures about on several occasions. And the only sensible thing that seems to have come to me so far (and this doesn't seem to be one of the things that God has chosen to directly reveal to me) is to try to impose the word "human" in the ideas that suggest that Jesus is God.
That still takes a little explaining but not as much I think; and this is what I mean. If I am human and I have a daughter (I can relate to this), then my daughter is human to. So, if Jehovah is God, and he by his infinite power and authority chooses to have a begotten son, then that son is also God. There is no way I can make my daughter "unhuman" and there is no way that Christ could ever be 'not' God. Now don't misunderstand me; I'm ready to accept this as 'my' doctrine. And I'm not ready to call this a conviction and say anything taught otherwise is a heresy (or any of those other ideas that religious people like to throw around). I'm actually closer to calling this one of those debatable matters.
I know that when I stand before God he will (for lack of a better way of putting it) ask me if I believed that Jesus was and is His only son, and that Jesus died for the forgiveness of my sins and was raised to a new life. Ok, God will ask me that; I believe that. That 'is' correct doctrine and I 'will' say I am convicted of that truth. But I do 'not' think that God is going to ask me if I believed in "the trinity" :-)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home