Monday, April 24, 2006

Back from the Philippines!

Took me an hour and a half to go through all of the steps of getting off the plane and going through customs, and then another hour to wait for my luggage to finish going through customs.I got back yesterday and my family was waiting for me at the airport; My Sister, brother-in-law, three nephews, Earl, and Barbara. My mother wasn't there. And I wish she was but my sister and mother aren't on very good terms right now. I don't blame my sister, and for that matter I don't blame my mother either. It's just, things are the way they are.

In either case it felt good that that much family was there. Each of my three nephews had each made a separate "Welcome Home" message on a sheet of paper and colored it in. These are the kinds of things that I treasure. It reminds me of the couple of "Goodbye" artwork that I had gotten from a couple of kids and the adults when I left the Philippines as well.

After getting out of the airport we had a nice lunch at McDonalds (primarily from the dollar menu :-) and then we went back to my old homestead on Alloway in East Atlanta to spend a little time in the back yard just talking (while I struggled to stay awake). After another three hours of talking, taking picures with my cell phone, and giving away Pasalubong I saw my sister's family off, checked a couple of emails and hit the sack at 8pm.

So this is day number two. Before I left the Philippines I was asked a couple of times what I thought I might do when I got back from the Philippines. Honestly I couldn't think past a response of "sleep", so that is how I answered the question before. So what really happened, how did I spend my first full day back in the U.S.? So far I woke up at 4:15am; prayed for a good while, went to the C.R. (Comfort Room), decided that I would go out and have a Montalban breakfast, oiled the chain and pumped up the tired on my faithful bicycle, and then headed out to Kroger Grocery.

I wasn't able to find anything that looked like pandesal at Kroger and they also didn't have freshly made coffee there. So I finally decided on a loaf of cuban bread at $1.49 (enough that I could share in case I ran into someone asking for money/food), and a quart of chochlate milk. So much for the full fledged Montalban breakfast. From there I bicycled down to E2 Coffee House and spoke to the owner for about an hour to catch him up on a few of my experiences and adventures. Then I ordered a cup of coffee (to complete my Montalban Breakfast) so I felt that I had properly paid some patronage to E2 Coffee house for use of the Internet that they have for all of their customers.

footnote: A "Montalban Breakfast" is what I refer to as a breakfast of coffee and pandesal (or hot milk and pandesal). That is the kind of breakfast that I typically had when I was staying at the boys home in Montelban Rizal.

footnote2: The boys home was later relocated to Project8 in Quezon City.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home