What Marriage Is Suppose to Be
Andy Stanley is a man that God has given a lot of insight to. I really appreciate the teaching I've heard through him. I'd be hard pressed to find any people in this world whose teaching I believe is fautless, it simply wouldn't happen. However Andy and his father Charles Stanley are a couple of the ones that I agree with a great deal. I also appreciate their errors, because without those I might be tempted to follow what they say hook, line, and sinker. I examine what they, and others, say pretty intentely.
Many days in a marriage can be a struggle, some days are better than others. Some weeks are better than others. If you want to see your own weaknesses, and your own faults, 'through a magnifying glass'; just get married :-) But if you and your marriage partner can take marriage head on from God's perspective, then I think there can be some really good moments. And even a few good weeks :-)
There is a scripture where Paul says he wants to spare us the trouble of marriage. I smile when I think about the past troubles that I had experienced in relationships (and especially my last marriage). But I also can't help but think that, by not being married, I am missing out on what God has truly had planned for me. Because, as inspired opinions go, Paul is on the minority. Throughout the scriptures, the primary sentiment reflected, is that he who finds a wife finds a good thing.
My experience, study and prayer has led me to redefine what a 'good thing' is. When I put together the idea that says marriage is a good thing, with the scriputure that says suffering should be something we rejoice in I look at things a little differently. This teaching is 'not' spiritual milk. Perhaps only those that can understand the joy of a good father's love in disciplining their child are the ones that will be able to grasp this. Remember, the idea of rejoicing in suffering was written by a guy that was singing while he was in jail.
And don't take this the wrong way. By all means marriage is not a doom and gloom thing. The purpose of life is to bring glory to God. If you get that down pat, then you can focus on your marriage with the right perspective. "Your marriage", just as your life, is not about making yourself happy. It's about making God happy. If you are married to a believer and both of you are about the purpose of bringing happiness to God, then neither of you are seeking your own happiness.
What a beautiful thing it is to see two people that are completely devoted to each other, not for the purpose of their own happiness, but for the purpose of making God happy. The irony here is that in the process of making God happy, the two people unwittingly become partners in something that brings about their own happiness. What is 'not' sought after 'is' found. Just one more example that shows us how much smarter God is than we are. An intent study of the scriputres has shown me that this is part of what he had planned all along.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home