Saturday, May 13, 2006

Why I Write, Why I Blog

When I was younger I wrote for several reasons. I wanted to learn how to express myself better with words, I wanted to understand myself better, and I wanted to have something to look back on when I was older so I could see what I used to think.

My reasons for creating a blog were similar. However a blog specifically was because I have found myself often away from my home or work computer but still wanting to remember things that I was thinking or feeling; I needed to be mobile. So, I initially created a private online journal that no one could find. But then as I wrote, I began to consider things that others might be able to find useful. Perhaps my self reflection could help them understand themselves better. After all, I've been doing this off and on for several years. And I've had people comment that I seem to know myself better than many people that they meet. And here is another reason. A blog I thought,would also be a useful way of telling people about me.

I initially didn't think that that part would be very long of a story. I 'thought' that there was a short list of maybe thirty to fifty things that I had definitive opinions about, and those opinions shaped who I am. However as time goes by I have continued to think of things to write about that aren't in my online journal and I haven't kept locally on my computer. I am surprised sometimes to find there are things that I have said to others so many times before, but I can't seem to find anywhere I have written about them. I also find it convenient to copy and paste from my journal when someone says something in an email that I already know I have quite a bit to say about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home