Thursday, June 02, 2005

Jesus' Promises

The reasons that I became a Christian are the promises that Jesus made, and so often I forget about those and get caught up into other things. Jesus taught me that he would give me rest, that I could lay my burdens on him. Jesus taught me that he would forgive me once and for all. He taught me that there was a hope greater than this world, and he explained to me that I was created for a reason that was much more important than waking up in the morning to go to "work" or feed my family. I don't have to work anymore, not in the sense that the world sees work anyhow.

As far as work goes all I have to do is do what the Lord wants me to do. Sometimes that will be to have no "job" and to trust that he will provide for me in other ways. Sometimes he will provide me with work where I get no payment, sometimes low payment, high payment, or anywhere in between. In either case it is not my "employer" that provides my needs or even the money that provides for my needs, but it is God that does it. How do I know that it is the Lord that provides for my needs; well all I have to do is listen to him when he tells me not to "work" for money and I can watch him provide for all of my food and clothing in other ways. Jesus is not limitted by the rules of this world.

Sometimes that work, wheter for pay or not for pay, will be so hard that it will bring me to tears, but I will know that it is all as God wills and that will be what gives me joy despite the hardship. I no longer live my life to save up for a retirement, or a home of any kind. A retirement is not anything that the Lord ever ordained in this world. My "retirement" is a hope that does not have 401k boundaries. My hope and the promise that was given to me is a heavenly dwelling and the benefits are something that can not be matched by any corporation.

As a fully submitting brother of Jesus Christ and a son of the living God, I will never die of starvation and I will always have clothing. Yes perhaps I will have great wealth in this world, but then again I might also have poverty or anything in between. But how I will be provided for in this world (outside of food and clothing) is not even on the radar screen. I don't even make wealth in this world a goal; not even a subset of a secondary goal, in fact it's not even on my list. What I will have in this world is not on my list because it 'is' on God's list, I will simply be satisfied with 'whatever' he gives me. My strong "ambition" is to advance Christ's Kingdom, to show the rule of Love, not of slavery to rules.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home