Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Your Culture or another?

So what is stronger in you? ... The culture that you were brought up in or the influence of God that is trying to reach into you through the Spirit of Christ whose life was given for yours?



Please understand that (80% to 90% of the time) I live by the Spirit and I am ashamed of the evil regarding the 10% to 20% of the time that I do not live by the Spirit. And ask for God's forgiveness regarding the latter which He has graciously given me. God is the one that knows how seriously or how lightly we are considering the grace that was giving us; and what a high price that cost.

God often has me encounter "secret things" in order to reach into the lives of others. And I do not live according to the "Southern" U.S culture that I was brought up in. According to that Southern culture; "Politeness" and "never speaking of things directly" is more important than the addressing of important matters. It has come to my understanding that much of this same 'sin' of avoiding conflict (and not letting the Spirit lead) is common in the Philippines culture as well.

I recently came accross a comment that someone else said regarding what the Spirit led me to speak about this past Sunday. I won't mention the comment here because it will only expose who said it and it doesn't matter who said it. What I am led to do in today's devotional is have each of us reflect on our own lives and ask ourselves do we have secret things that we don't want others to hear about. It is my goal to advance the kingdom of God.

Let me tell you what's important in getting to the root of understanding the matter here. How do you feel about what you are expressing when you reflect for a moment that God knows what you said and why you said it? If you are proud of what you said and believe it is edifying; if you "feel good" about it and wouldn't mind that anyone else knows; then you have done nothing wrong.

However, if you feel "caught" or you get a sense of "oh oh, I didn't want that other person to see that or know that I feel" that way; then you are guilty of a form of gossip or slander covered under the "and the like" portion of Galatians 5:21. Now let me also clarify another "feeling" which is common to the sinful nature. The sense that I am making a big deal out of nothing.

It is the sinful nature that doesn't take seriously the things of the Spirit. It is the sinful nature (especially in young men) that wants to "make light" of things that should be taken seriously. That is why in Titus 2:6-8 it is taught specifically to teach the young men regarding the importance of seriousness in their lives.

I know if you "make light" of 'it'; then 'you' will feel better. But of course you will not benefit from the Lord's teaching which is for the edification of your eternal soul.

Consider Mark 4:22 and Luk 8:17 as you perhaps prayerfully consider this. These two scriptures are about more than just the message of Christ. They are about everything in the lives of both believers and unbelievers. Followers of Christ are "children of the light".

The difference is that followers of Christ should display their lives in the open. To contrary the "children of darkness" who hide their ways; will have their lives exposed involuntarily by the light :-) God gets all the credit!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home